Question about helping a hatching egg at 22 days.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jayon, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Jayon

Jayon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Utah
    I have 2 that piped and didn’t do anything for several hours. I was worried so I opened them up and one all the way. He looks really underdeveloped and just lays with his head in the same bent back spot as if he was still in the egg. It has been out for 4+ hours and is still breathing and occasionally peeping. It has also moved a little. I am just concerned as it looks underdeveloped. Its body looks like a hard boiled yoke. The other I left inside the egg but did open it up a little when I opened the first.

Questions:

Why would they be underdeveloped? I have removed 6 from this batch to the brooder already. All of them hatched by themselves.
    Should I have intervened? I have heard if they don’t hatch on themselves they most likely would not live any ways. What if the humidity dropped to low and dried the membrane out to much? Wouldn’t that be time to intervene?
    Should I leave the second or open it up all the ways like the first?
    How many days should I give all the others before unpluging?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:think what you might be seeing is the chicks yolk sac, Is there a yellow/veiny thing on its stomach ?? can you post a pic of him ??

As far as intervening goes, It all depends on how you feel about it. Some help, some don't !!! Usually a chick that doesn't hatch on its own isn't strong enough and that's natures way of keep a flock strong !! BUT, like you mentioned in some cases its due to hum falling/being low and the chick getting shrink wrapped !!

I WOULD NOT help in till the egg has been piped for at least 48 hours (that way the chick has enough time to absorb the yolk sac) Also read the sticky's about "how to help hatch" on the top of the incubation page !!

If your temp was a little low or that egg was in a cooler spot in the bator maybe it developed a little slower and just needed more time to absorb its yolk before hatching, if you have a still air bator you could get cool spots.

Give the eggs another day or 2 before thinking about what to due, I'm guessing b/c you opened the bator to much the hum dropped and the eggs are to dry to hatch. Could be other reasons also, that's why people dont open the bator to take chicks out during a hatch. But still give it another few days.

3. Jayon

Jayon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Utah
    I'm guessing b/c you opened the bator to much the hum dropped and the eggs are to dry to hatch. Could be other reasons also, that's why people dont open the bator to take chicks out during a hatch.

That is great information. I don’t know what I was thinking, I guess I was confused and though you should remove hatched chicks as they dried. But I guess they can survive up to three days right?

Thanks,
    Jonathan​

4. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Yes, 3 days. I always say 48 hours just to be on the safe side. Yah know we all learn from our mistakes, dont be to hard on yourself about it. We live and learn !! Hows the baby doing this morning ??

5. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    I have learned to leave them alone. They do better w/o help and it does make them stronger and healthier when they can fully develop by absorbing the yolk sack. You may also get inaccurate humidity readings. Do move your hygrometer around, to see how it reads. I've been using a still air incubator and get different readings in different locations.

6. Jayon

Jayon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Utah
    When I left today a 0400 they were still alive. I am not sure if they are going to be strong enough in 2 days to eat on their own. We will see. All the other eggs look as if they drowned. I cracked them and they were full of liquid. Good news there is all but 1 of my 17 eggs developed

I think this next round I am not going to add any water unless the humidity drops to 5. This is the second batch I have drowned. Last time there was to much humidity at the beginning. This time I did the dry incubator method and then added water on day 19. Next time I am not going to add any.

Live and learn. It is unforchent but it has still been really fun. I think I am hooked now. I did have 6 hatch out great. I will keep you updated on the other 2.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    How long have they been in the bator for ?? If you know the other eggs arent going to hatch you should take the babies out and get them in the brooder with food and water !!

Here is some info on dry incubation.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

Yes
    , keep me updated !!

8. Jayon

Jayon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Utah
    I just move both chicks out to the brooder and they looked great.

I will post some pics later.

Jonathan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by