Question about hen with ugly bottom & bad shells

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kuntrychick, Oct 12, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I have a hen that was sold to me a couple of years ago when I first started having chickens. I was looking for a green egg layer & the guy at our local flea market told me she was. She's not. She lays very pale colored eggs, almost pinkish looking.

Anyway, the day I got her, I noticed (after getting her) that her bottom was awful! I thought it was something that would go away on its own...thinking it was just poor care or something. Anyway, this has persisted. I remember last year, maybe after molt (?) that for a short period of time, she did get down feathers back there again, only to be replaced by her ugly bottom side yet again. I don't know what it is. I just know it seems like if it were something to do with poor health, she wouldn't be living as long as she has & it seems as if some of the other chickens would be affected. That isn't the case.

Her butt looks wet all the time. It appears as if she doesnt have very many down feathers & what she has is all clumped together wet looking. It also looks like her bottom is saggy, like hanging down but maybe it's just because of how her down looks. ???? If needed, I'll try to take a pic if it'll help. ( even though it may gross you out)

Also, I'm not sure, but have wondered if this issue has anything to do with her egg laying issue. WHEN she decides to lay an egg (which right now she's molting so no eggs), they are VERY soft shell...sometimes shell-less eggs under the roosts. Her eggs also are very rough texture & almost always has humps on them, like calcium deposits or something. ???? Also, she will sometimes lay HUGE eggs. I'm talking about looking like turkey eggs or something. There was one that I measured with a tape measure and it was like 7" around the middle!

I provide oyster shell & have seen her eating it many times but still to no avail.

I've thought about giving her a bath, but am afraid it might be painful or something. I'm wondering if something in her egg making machine has gone wrong....prolapsed or something making it look wet & soggy all the time. Maybe from the huge eggs?

The one thing I can say about her, the inside of her eggs look the healthiest of all! Rich, huge dark orange yolks. Yet, I can't bring myself to eat her eggs because of her ugly bottom & knowing how thin & rough the shell was.

Any ideas? I would sure like to help her if I possibly can.

2. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    No ideas?

Maybe this is in the wrong place ???

3. fdlnjoe

fdlnjoe Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    well you tried oyster shells? hmmmmmm,did ya try too use medicated food look in your local feed storand look for calcium food,i will look into it for ya

4. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:The feed store I've been getting their food from is from a local mill (& the chickens LOVE it) & it says it contains calcium, no supplements needed. But, I still put out oyster shell free choice. I've had this hen over 2 years & she has ALWAYS been this way. [​IMG] I don't know what to do for her. She may be too old. I don't mind if she don't even lay eggs, but something needs to be done with that ugly butt but I'm not sure what to do.

5. fdlnjoe

Oct 13, 2011
    how many chicksare with her?

6. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    There's 2 Roos & 5 other hens. It's nothing new. She's been with all of them except 2 for all this time & the other 2 since early spring.

7. fdlnjoe

Oct 13, 2011
    hmmmmmmmmm I'm not real sure have ya tried to seperate her from the rest?
    and are vyou sure the other birds are not pluckin her feathers out?
    i am just shootin in the dark i am tring to help i guess

8. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:I can't be certain, but don't think so...never while I'm around. She is pretty far up in the pecking order. Thank you so much for trying to help me figure it out. [​IMG]

9. fdlnjoe

Oct 13, 2011
    you are more than welcome

10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Her soggy backside could be from broken soft-shell (or shell-less) eggs "leaking" egg white on her feathers as they pass. From what I've read about prolapse, tissue would be red and protruding and you didn't mention either of those things. But yeah, bumpy eggs, thin shells, absent shells, ridiculously large eggs... it all sounds like she has reproductive issues. Since it's been going on all this time, I don't think she's going to be getting better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by