Question about hens first eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Marillasmanor, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Marillasmanor

Marillasmanor New Egg

Dec 8, 2011
    Hi!

We have 2 hens and rooster that are about 6 months old and the hens have finally started laying! We had been waiting for awhile so I was very surprised to look in the coop one day and see 7 eggs in a nest! Now here is my question:

I don't know how long the eggs were in there before I discovered them. Temps here in North GA have been in the 50's this past week. Are they still edible? I am very new to chickens so I want to be safe.

Thanks for your help!

2. six_eclectic_chickens

six_eclectic_chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Eggs can last awhile before they go bad after they are laid. When a hen is trying to raise a family she will wait untill she has a clutch of about 5-10 eggs before she incubates them. The eggs will have to wait a week before they get any attention and they do so without going bad. You should be fine up to 2 or 3 days

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Anywhere up to five days, I'd say. We've eaten five day old eggs before, and it's a LOT hotter in Australia than 50*F! [​IMG]

The bad ones, I think, float if you put them in water.

4. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    It's completely normal to be a little freaked out by your hens first eggs. But I assure your that they are delicious! If you find it a bit queezy, try scrambling them or baking them in to some favorite recipe. You may notice the yolks to be more orange then the store bought eggs you are used to. In a few months you will find that store bought eggs are not up to par. By all means... I dare you![​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  5. [​IMG]

Well I hope you find this site very helpful. You newly found eggs are fine. [​IMG] No need even to cool them in the fridge. I do not cool any of my own eggs at all. I leave them in the egg basket on the counter top for up to 3 weeks and they are always still good. Store bought eggs are a different story. I do refrigerate store bought eggs.

Congrats on your trio.

PS get some more hens. Its worth it.

Wish you the best!

6. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    .. By the way, eggs last for 2 months or more if you don't wash them even un-refrigerated. Really. If you wash them, you should refrigerate them and use them within a month or so.

7. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    [​IMG]

congrats on your new eggs!

8. Marillasmanor

Marillasmanor New Egg

Dec 8, 2011
    Wow I didn't expect to get so many responses!

Thanks everybody! I really didn't want to throw those pretty eggs out. [​IMG]

9. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    Quote:EVer since I got my first eggs, I've never eaten a store-bought one again. There is such a noticeable difference! The taste was a lot to get used to at first, but I assure you, it's a thousand times better scrambled. You can say goodbye to that runny, off-yellow coloured egg now. [​IMG]

10. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

What kind of chickens do you have? Some of them do have beautiful eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by