Question About Heritage Breeds/Breeders

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ninjapoodles, Jun 19, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I'm just wondering, and can't quite find the information I'm looking for...

When I'm ready to get what I think of as "real" (as opposed to hatchery) chickens, how do I go about "vetting" breeders? I mean, apart from recommendations from this forum, because let's face it, the breeders here can only supply so many people with chicks or hatching eggs!

I guess what I'm wondering is, what are the right questions to ask breeders? If this were dogs or horses, I'd be all set, but chickens? I mean, are there pedigrees, in any comparable sense to other animals? I can look at a dog's pedigree and know in an instant if there is any puppymill or BYB blood in the last 50 years, at least...how do you do that with chickens?

Is there an "acceptable" amount of, or length of time since any, hatchery blood? Do people ever (I get asked a similar question about dogs a LOT) start with hatchery hens and "breed up," or is that impossible due to the provenance of the birds?

Someone school me in quality chicken breeding 101, please!

(Oh, and I'm not dissing hatchery birds--after all, that's what I've started with. I really do appreciate being able to get the types I want, right when I want them, and having them delivered to my door...and I appreciate being able to make mistakes, as I HAVE, without wiping out a huge investment in time and money with blue-blood birds while do my newbie learning.)

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    The best way to get reputable breeders is get on the very long waiting lists [​IMG] also there are often clubs for different breeds. also contact an expert on a breed and they will also give you the names of good breeders. You can ask about show stock and shows the birds have won. You can also ask a respected expert about the breeders birds and also the lines they come from.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by