Question about hot ground and chickens feet

fours2many

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Naples, Florida
I live in South West Florida. We are building our own coops and runs. There isn't shade in our yard at all. Actually there isn't a tree on 2 1/2 acres. We will be putting a roof on the runs to provide shade, the coop is also off the ground 2 feet to allow the chickens to go under it and dust bathe.

Now, where we live there is no dirt, it is just sand. The sand gets very hot in the summer. I know sand is very easy to clean, but I am afraid the chickens will burn their feet. Is there any type of shavings/ floor covering, that will be cooler for them?

I will use a small type kiddie pool for extra cooling in our very hot, never ending summer. I am just afraid I will come home one day and find my chickens in the coop, sweltering, because the sand is too hot to walk on.

Thanks, Kristin and Taylor

fours2many

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Naples, Florida
I posted this in the wrong place. I wanted it in the coop section. I have no idea how to get it moved. Can someone help?

Thanks and sorry!

tammyd57

Songster
9 Years
Feb 12, 2010
Central Valley, California
Hot sand won't bother them too much. I have nothing but sand for 10 acres & it gets over 100 degrees here for months on end. As long as they have some shade to get under it's okay. I go out in the hottest part of the day and use the hose to sprinkle down the pen to cool it off some.

Top Bottom