Question about housing chickens together. NEED OPINIONS!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Guitartists, May 9, 2008.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I hope this is in the right topic catergory.

Well, we're going tonight and getting a shed that I am converting into a coop.

I have :

1 - 1 yr old frizzle bantam cochin roo
    2 - batam cochin pullets
    And whatever ends up hatching out of my 2 1/2 dozen eggs in the bator (minus whatever I give away) EE's, Ameraucanas & large size "designer chickens" [​IMG]

If I house everyone together for the first year - until next spring when I can more easily afford to build more seperate pens/runs.... will they get along ok even if some end up being roos? Will the cochin have an upper hand for being the oldest from the get-go? Or will the youngsters dominate him first chance they get?

The shed is pretty large. I don't have exact measurements.... I think it's 8 x 8, maybe a little larger. It's expandable. So next year I should be able to hunt down additional pieces and make it longer if need be. I also have plans to turn some wood pieces I have into a bantam coop and run for Spaghetti and his girls and whatever other bantams I end up with along the way [​IMG] It'll house 3 seperate trios nicely [​IMG]

Do think I will be ok until Spring of '09? Or should I get it done sooner than later?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Once the babies are big enough to get along with the adults, probably 4 months old or so, they can probably get along with the rest. However, multiple roos may become a problem if they fight or wear out the hens. Maybe a divider in the shed would be best till you can get more housing. The young roos will be dominated at first but as soon as one gets the guts, he won't hesitate to over take the older one.

Basically, keep a close eye and change as necessary. Hard to say how each flock will react with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by