Question about: Housing particular birds together

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gryeyes, Sep 24, 2010.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have two Silver Sebright roos, a Silver Sebright and a Golden Sebright pullet. Right now, the roos are housed in a small coop with a bantam Buff Brahma roo and a cochin pullet, simply because I bought them together as chicks and they went into that "grow out coop" and have stayed together in it.

Same for the S. & G. Sebright pullets; they're living with a Delaware and EE pullet, both of which are standard sized. Same reason for housing.

I'd sort of like to move them around a bit, and put all four Sebrights into the same coop.... and do some other mixing up because I've got chicks in the brooder which will need some grow-out quarters very soon.

Any suggestions (or snickers) for me?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I (just a couple of days ago) moved my chickens around. I wanted the frizzles to be in with the d'Uccles for warmth. And I wanted my 3 lone Silkies to be in with the other 8 Silkies for warmth. And I wanted the LF EEs to have a larger coop. And since I swiped the bantam EE's coop for the Silkies, I had to move them to the LF EEs coop. [​IMG]

Oh my. The poor things are so confused. But I straighten it out at bedtime. They keep trying to go to their old coop, which I have closed up. Then they settle into someone else's coop.

Sometimes they perch on top of someone else's coop. In the rain.

I just come out with my flashlight after I take up the food for the night and rearrange everyone where they are supposed to me.[​IMG]

I hope it works someday. Tonight will be night #3.

That's all I have to say, and if you pick up anything useful from it, I will be happy. If not, it was good therapy for me![​IMG]

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    We are going to be doing this as soon as I get a rooster coop made. Ours at least have all been sharing a compound divided by fencing so they know each other. And each area has places to hide. I think as long as there are getaway spots, they all will eventually get over it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by