question about housing

Discussion in 'Geese' started by crazy goose lover, Aug 10, 2010.

1. crazy goose lover

crazy goose lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Athens Illinois
    I am getting a new house for my 2 ducks and 2 geese. the house is 8x8. It will just be to keep them safe at night. It has a door and a window on two sides. It his wired for lights and outlets. It does not have a floor in it. It will be on a foundation that will be as preditor proof as possible. My question is this: Should I leave the floor just dirt? Should I put down sand or something else. Will need straw on the ground for winter but for cleanliness and comfort what would be best?

2. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    For cleanliness I would put down a layer of sand, then on top of that some chopped straw or wood shavings.

3. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    I've had a dirt floor shed for years.
    Definitely vulnerable to predators digging in.
    Sink some boards or fencing down into the soil at the base.
    I also have a new wooden floor coop.
    I like it much better.

4. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    It his wired for lights and outlets.

The wiring has to be totally out of reach - they chew it like spaghetti.​

5. lurkin1

lurkin1 New Egg

Jun 8, 2010
    Southern Utah
    I hope this isn't hijacking your thread but I have questions about basic housing as well. I am considering putting my two week old goslings out in a vacant chicken tractor for now until they grow out a bit. It is secure and has a shelter. They would have grass and a better water pan. The night time temps are in the 50s. The daytime temps are in the 90s.

They aren't feathered out and I don't know how long it takes until they are feathered out, but the tractor seems better than the large rubbermaid tub that they are in at the moment.

Is this a good option or should they stay in the house in the tub?[​IMG]

6. crazy goose lover

crazy goose lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Athens Illinois
    50 is too cool if they aren't feathered. Might keep them out during the heat of the day and just bring them in overnight.
    A friend just took down a deck and is going to give me the lumber so I will be putting a floor in the goose house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by