question about how chicks are shipped - I think ours come tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tazzy, Mar 30, 2009.

1. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    I've got a question about how chicks are shipped. We ordered 17 chicks from Cackle Hatchery in Missouri, and they shipped this morning. And then we ordered 20 chicks from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio and they shipped this morning, too.

We're in Kentucky, so pretty close (within 200-300 miles) of each hatchery. I think they said they'd deliver them tomorrow. But I didn't get a confirmation from Meyer. Cackle told us tomorrow as the delivery date, but that's not on the invoice, just what the salesperson said on the phone.

But is that right? Does it take just one day to ship chicks that distance? I called my post office to let them know we're expecting chicks, but I still worry that they will get lost in the shuffle somehow/someway!

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. Bwaaak!

Bwaaak! Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    My ship date from Cackle was Monday March 23. They arrived from Missouri (Im in Seattle, WA) on the third day (March 25). They were packed in a box that held a little space so that they were all grouped snuggly. On the bottom of the box was a sort of pebble looking pad that I think was warm and maybe works on the same concept of those Thermal Care heating pads for backs.

All my chicks survived, although from the looks of it, I had baby araucanas that already had wing feathers. Perhaps 6+ days old when they got here. On the first day I lost an araucana chick. I dont know the why.

Right now Im nursing a bantam buff orphington chick (1 week old) that had poo plugging her vent. She is weak and wobbly and I didnt expect to see her alive this morning. But she was standing albeit wobbly. *sigh* I have never had so much worry over chicks before. Granted, they werent bantams but they just sort of took care of themselves.

Anyway, much luck on your babies![​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's really hard to tell. I live six hours from Ideal hatchery, yet my chicks shipped on a Wednesday and didn't arrive till Friday. You can expect them anytime from the day of shipping to two (hopefully not three) days later.
    Good luck with your new babies when they arrive.

4. tazzy

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    okay, thanks for the input! I really appreciate it. I re-read the cackle hatchery page and they do say 1-3 days there. But I spoke to the salesperson on the phone and I could swear she said one day. But we will see.

bwaak, I hope your BO bantam does okay and pulls through!

gritsar, thanks!

5. Diva

Diva Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Salem Oregon
    I stressed on my shipment also. They Shipped Priority mail left Texas on Monday AM and arrived Salem Oregon about 11:00 AM. I was lucky and found someone that would give me the 24/7 telephone number for the mailshort room and started calling them at 5:00AM. Good luck! [​IMG] Linda

6. Diva

Diva Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Salem Oregon
    ooops they arrived Salem Oregon Wednesday about 11:00 AM. L.

7. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    I ordered from cackle it took 2 days in mail to get to southern florida so its possible. They came in a little box with a straw made nest in it very cute have your camera ready for when you open the box its cute seeing them all look up when the cover comes off [​IMG]

8. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I got 12 from Meyer here in Indiana. I talked to them Monday around noon and they said the chicks would be mailed that day. The post office called me at 10:00 am on Tuesday saying they had arrived. They all are still in great health 1 week later.

9. tazzy

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    thanks! all this info is very helpful. hopefully we'll have at least one box of chicks waiting for us at the post office tomorrow morning. the woman at the local post office said something about how they'll call us before they open. I said, "before? when do you open?" she said 8 a.m. so I will be impressed if the post office calls me that early!

we talked to meyer hatchery today and they said that they were shipping our chicks tomorrow, instead of today as we'd originally been told. she said we should expect them to arrive on Wednesday or Thursday. they called us because they were out of the five EE's that we ordered. she offered a substitute. we chose the black jersey giants pullets. the rest of the order are buff orpington pullets.

hopefully the Cackle chicks will arrive tomorrow. those are all light brahmas.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by