Question about humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cuckoo4Cochins, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Cuckoo4Cochins

Cuckoo4Cochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2014
    Virginia
    So I have an incubator that also has a hatcher in the bottom. Will upping the humidity for the eggs on lockdown hurt the eggs still getting turned/incubated? Or do I just need to buy a separate hatcher to avoid the problem?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Can you post a picture of your set up? If its got a divider, it'll be okay. If it doesn't, its probably going to jack up the humidity everywhere. I like have a second incubator as a hatcher, keeps the mess contained (and I can stagger hatches and constantly incubate) :)

3. Cuckoo4Cochins

Cuckoo4Cochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2014
    Virginia

Unfortunately there is no divider between them. When I raise humidity during lockdown it will affect the whole unit. Is there any way I can use this incubator and not have an affected hatch?

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Can you add a divider between the two sections? It may still raise the humidity a bit, but if its not a ton, they should be okay. I would fire it up, let it come to temp, and fill the trays with water. Then you can take readings from the bottom and top to see exactly what you're dealing with...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by