Question about Humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I just cleaned and reset up my bator I figured I'd leave the wells empty till all the water evaporated from the bator. My humidty is running 80% I was gonna let it run all night will it drop?

If I add water now should It go down? Should I put luke warm or hot water in? Thanks for any advice.

2. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    No eggs in there yet, right? I would leave it without adding water until your humidity drops to the 20s. Especially if it is a styrofoam bator, since those hold onto the water after you clean them until everything drys up. When I clean mine, I set it all up, open all vents, and let it warm up and dry before assessing when to add water.

As far as water temp, I've done both. If I need the humidity to go up quickly, I will add hot water, but this will usually make the windows fog up for a while. Usually, I add room temp water since I only add about 1-2 teaspoons at a time, which isn't enough to affect my incubator air temps.

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Yeah no eggs in yet. I let it run all night all vents open...I am getting ready to go check to see what the humidity is.

ETA: I just went and checked it my temp was 103 so I had to turn it down a bit. My humidity was 31 so a bit to go before I can add my eggs.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  4. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    Quote:What did you find?

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Temp is 101 now and humidity is still 31% So I am gonna wait a little longer before adding water.

6. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I added a bit of room temp water. Temp is still 101 but Humidity is 75% now. Ugh I really wanna get these turkey eggs in today! What eles can I do? All vents are open??????????

ETA: I soaked some of the water out with some paper towels and still the humidity is 75%

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by