Question about Humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickenpoor, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Chickenpoor

Chickenpoor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    I'm planning to incuabate a few Emu eggs. The humity for incubating Emu eggs is 30% - 32% how do I get the humidity to go that low?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What make and model incubator do you have?

3. Chickenpoor

Chickenpoor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    I will be using a homemade incubator.

4. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    when my DIY bator runs out of water it tends to stay at 30% for a while before dropping to 10% really quick... so i say to throw in a couple of drops on the tray every day... try it out for a week or so...

good luck...

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What counts in humidity is surface area. Amount of water or how deep it is does not matter. It is purely how much surface area is available for evaporation. Now, if you get something fairly deep, you don't have to fill it up that often.

I suggest putting a small pan in there that has pretty straight sides so the surface area does not change as the water evaporates and see what humidity you get after it stabilizes. If it is too low, add another container of water. If the humidity is too high, put something in it to reduce the surface area or try a smaller container. You could use aluminum foil over part of the top or maybe float a piece of plastic or something that does not get wet. If you use wood, the wood might get soaked and eventually add back to the surface area. Of course, you could always wrap a wooden block in aluminum foil so it does not expose wet wood for evaporation. If you can build your own incubator, I'm pretty confident you can play with the surface area and get something that works.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by