Question about humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Buster, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I removed all water from my incubator and the humidity reads 50%. Is this acceptable? I have had many eggs develop to day 18 at 60% humidity the entire time so my guess is that they are drowning when they pip the air sac because of the high humidity at the early stages. Apparently, I can't get it lower than 50%. I need some opinions on whether that will work or not. Thanks!

2. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    What day are they on? Do you have vent plugs in? You can open up your incubator to let some of the humidity out, do it for 5-10 minutes. It would be the same thing as the hen getting off the nest, so it won't really effect them, depending what day they're on.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

They are on day 1- just set this morning. My question is whether 50% is a good humidity or if it still needs to be lower. I don't have vent plugs but would be able to open it if needed.

4. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    40-50% is good for the first 18 days, just remember to bump it up the last 3 days. But since it is only day one the humidity will go down after time, on its own, so it sounds good to me. Good luck with the hatch!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    This is JMO...I would get the humidity down to about 40% if you can. It will eventually evaporate and come down on it's own by tomorrow, I imagine. I don't think you have to do anything else. Remember the eggs need to lose about 14% of their weight by day 18 to assure that the chicks don't drown.

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:So are you saying I should open the incubator and get it down to 40% as soon as possible or will it be ok to let it go down on its' own?

7. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:So are you saying I should open the incubator and get it down to 40% as soon as possible or will it be ok to let it go down on its' own?

I personally think that they will be okay, 50% isn't too high, and they are only on day one. It will go down on it's own within a few days.

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I removed all water from my incubator and the humidity reads 50%. Is this acceptable?

Yes

I have had many eggs develop to day 18 at 60% humidity the entire time so my guess is that they are drowning when they pip the air sac because of the high humidity at the early stages

Likely. 60% was considered the top end in the past. It was recommended to run 48-60% for the first 18 days, then 65% the last 3.
    Tha range places 54% as your median. Ive had better luck with lower values, more in the 40's. I try to hold in the 40's nowadays.

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks everyone. Now set are 24 SS eggs and 3 BO eggs. I will leave it alone and I think it will be fine as long as I don't let it dip too much.

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Buster....I meant that I didn't think you'd need to do anything...just let it come down on it's own. I agree with Davaroo...low 40"s is what I would shoot for.

I dry incubate so I don't add any water unless the humidity gets below 30%. I've just had too many chicks drown and found I have a higher hatch rate not worrying too much about the humidity...until day 18.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by