1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about hygrometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kyle7630, Jan 19, 2011.

1. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    I have an Accurite indoor/outdoor type hygrometer/thermometer with the remote sensor that you place outside. Question is can I just put the outdoor sensor in the bator and have the mother unit with me in another room? I'm on crutches right now and it's a pain(literally) to keep checking on the bator. Also, the outdoor sensor gives a high/low reading so I could monitor spikes and dips. Anyone have experience they care to share? TIA.

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    the only problem with outsid gages id the temps can be off by +/- 2 degrees, some work great most do not. incubator gages gennerally are off by +/- .2 or less dergees

3. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

no...I have that same sensor unit. The whole unit has to go inside the bator...the little sensor thing is only the temp. The unit has the hygrometer in it so it has to go inside the bator.
    This is my second hatch and for some reason after my first hatch the humidity sensor went off by about 15-18%...I calibrated it and found out that it was way off...but I still use it...I just add 16% when I read it now...I think it is working fine...
    [​IMG]

4. Ryan McEachern

Ryan McEachern Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    Maple Ridge, BC
    Actually, there are two types of those instruments. I have both.

One model does have independent humidity at each outdoor sensor, and then a seperate humidity at the base station. These are typically marketed as weather stations and are more expensive. You can tell if you have this type of instrument if you can switch between inside and outside humidity for each station.

They are a good fit for general monitoring of the incubator conditions, they will give you a good indication of heater failure, or if the bator gets unplugged, or the wafer fails, or if you are out of water in the tray, etc.

I would use a more accurate instrument for initial calibration and setup.

5. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    dwegg, I'm liking how you've used egg cartons to separate your eggs. Have you used this method before?
    Quote:

6. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    I have two. One is a gray accurite like the one pictured, but the humidity doesn't work at all on it, unless I did something wrong. It just reads "Lo" no matter what. The newer one I just got is wireless. It has an outdoor sensor that can be placed up to 100 feet away from the mother unit. The mother unit displays temp and humidity for both inside and outside. I figured that it just needs to be in two seperate places, not really inside and outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by