Question about Ideal Poultry

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by hunterkipferl, Jan 20, 2014.

1. hunterkipferl

hunterkipferl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2013
    Do they mark their packing peanuts? I would like to know because I have a wide variety coming in :) Also what do they usually send as packing peanuts? Do they separate ducks from chicks? If so would they separate the guineas as well? ALSO I WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME PICS FROM IDEAL POULTRY!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I've ordered from Ideal before, and they kept all poultry types I ordered together. They don't mark the packing peanuts, but they're easy to distinguish because they usually use male sex links. Mine were all male black sex links.

As for pictures, here's Lemon my broody hen with chicks. All were from Ideal.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  3. hunterkipferl

hunterkipferl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2013
    Thanks for the help! Seeing your photo makes me extra impatient to get my chick's! [​IMG] I AM SOOOOO EXCITED!

4. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    I hear they are good. Most of the good feed stores around here use them. You can pick up the order if you want. They are in Cameron, Tx just south of Dallas.

5. mindylee

mindylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Lapeer Michigan
    [​IMG]
    My 3 white cochin bantam hens came from Ideal. A friend was doing a order and asked her to add 6 of these to her order. I only wanted 3 pullets So to better my odds, I got 6 baby chicks... I ended up with 6 pullets! [​IMG] These are the 3 I kept.
    They are all very pretty and like how they turned out! There is Splash. Suger, and Flour.

(please dont mind all the poison ivy in the background! LOL)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  6. allseeingeye

allseeingeye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2014
    Mandeville, La.
    I ordered from Ideal Poultry in January. The "packing peanuts" they sent were 5 mostly black chicks that I am assuming are black sex links. I'll be posting pics of them tonight for a hopeful identification.

It actually took me 2 weeks to figure out that the black chicks were the males, because at first the Americaunas and Rhode Island Reds I ordered were so similar during the first week that I really could not tell them apart. It was only in the second week that the differences became obvious and then it hit me like a ton of bricks that the 5 extra black ones they sent were the males (I'm a true noob when it comes to chickens.)

7. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx

Well the good news is at 8-10 weeks you can eat the 5 and have a good Sunday dinner [​IMG] or sell them. I am more of a chicken is livestock and lots of roosters in a hen house don't go well. So either you get extra money or really tasty food.

At least this is my take on packing peanuts

8. allseeingeye

allseeingeye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2014
    Mandeville, La.

I have been considering my options regarding the cockerels. I know that for having only a dozen hens, one rooster is more than enough should I ever decide to want to hatch eggs myself. And out of courtesy for my neighbors, I never planned on having any roosters. So I'm left with either culling or selling/giving them away. At this point it should be known...Ive never killed or plucked a chicken, but my stomach is strong and I do love the taste of chicken...:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by