question about if what I am doing should work. . . .

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by snooptwomey, Dec 23, 2011.

1. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    I am somewhat thinking my hens are now laying fertile eggs, I have cracked a few, and they appear to the unexperienced eye(mine) that they are fertile. I took the one from the nest box yesterday morning and let it sit out during the day, and stuck it in the incubator this morning. If I crack it open later today, should I now be able to see a little more development to give a definate FERTILE OR NOFERTILE than I had on the other eggs I cracked to look(these eggs were all taken straight from nest box within a few hours of being laid and put right into the fridge) I guess I am beyond anxious which I am sure you ALL know the feeling, especially since I am new to chickens as of this past summer. [​IMG]

2. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    A few hours in the incubator isn't going to tell you anything....sorry!

There is a "sticky" somewhere on BYC showing you what to look for after you crack open an egg (we call it a "bullseye") to determine if its fertile

Great pix there and you should be able to tell from comparing the 2

Edited to show link

Here is a link to what I was talking about

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  3. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    I have seen that thread, and it looks to me like mine have the "bullseye". I guess I just assumed that another day of development would make it more noticable to the newbie eyes of mine haha
    Thanks alot for your input

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by