Question about Incubating day 14

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tlmancuso, Jul 5, 2017.

1. tlmancuso

tlmancuso Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2016
    I have 7 eggs under my hen. Today is day 14. I candled the eggs tonight and saw 5 eggs with obvious chicks inside, but am wondering about the other two. One was much lighter than the others, no obvious veins, but possible air cell and what looks like the dark eye of the chick, but no movement. Am I safe to assume that the chick died? The other one is very light too with what looks like old blood vessels, but no dark area where the chick should be and again it's hard to tell if there's an air cell. They seem much different than the other 5, but I'm hesitant to remove them from the hen. How long should I wait before I'm risking them exploding? Any advise would be very helpful!

2. Mylied

Mylied Overrun With Chickens

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    If they look clearish and don't have a decent sized chick at day 14, I toss them. But if you're not comfortable doing that, check again day 18 and make the call then.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd leave them for another few days. It's not a given that duds will explode.

4. tlmancuso

tlmancuso Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2016
    Thank you :) Do I need to be careful with them exploding or will the hen reject bad eggs?

5. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I haven't personally experienced exploding eggs. My broody was just sitting on two quitters for over 3 weeks due to me not candling them. No explosions in this ga heat. I guess I lucked out.

6. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    And no, she didn't reject them. She did push a third bad egg out. Who knows what these chickens are thinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by