1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

QUESTION about incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Peaky, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Peaky

Peaky Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    Hello
    I put 7eggs into into incubator 6 days ago. I now have noticed that my
    Hen has been sitting in her nest for
    2 days. she is sitting on
    Golf balls. When night time comes can I pull out the balls and put
    The 7 Eggs From The incubator or under my hen? Or will that create a problem
    Of
    Nature?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    If this is her first time going broody I would give her longer. Sometimes they do not stay broody. Let her sit on the golf balls until the eggs are closer to hatch and you know she isn't going to quit on you.

3. Peaky

Peaky Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    Thanks so much for suggestion. I will leave them in incubator until lockdown then put them under hen at that time. Does that sound reasonable?

4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Yes, that is the safest way to do it, especially if the eggs are of high value such as shipped/rare/something you really want. You don't want to lose them because she decides to quit or break them or something.

5. Peaky

Peaky Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    Do u think it better just to put 2 eggs under her then to add the last 5 to her nest at night once the two hatch ?

6. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    You can do it either way. It just depends on how important those eggs are to you. It won't make any difference to her whether she has eggs or a golf ball.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by