Question about infectious bronchitis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bigboyjh, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Bigboyjh

Bigboyjh New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    NC
    First i want to say thanks. I have used the website numerous times for much information, but this is my first post. I recently introduced some new pullets to my small backyard flock, and unfortunately, it looks as though I have introduced infectious bronchitis to my established flock. By reading, it appears that they will all be carriers, so I have unfortunately decided to start my flock over, and am going to cull the 7 chickens I have. I do not want to sell carriers to someone like somebody did me, so i have some questions. My questions are....... Is it safe to eat a chicken that has been exposed to infectious bronchitis....... and how long would I have to let the chicken run I am currently using sit dormant before allowing the new chicks to use it. I am building a brand new coop, but they will have to use that same run my current chix are using. Any help is appreciated.

Just a word of rookie advice, raise your chickens and additions from chicks so you don't bring sickness into your flock.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    WelcometoBYC. Sorry about your sick birds. Before you do anything drastic, I would describe your bird's ages and all symptoms. It's difficult to tell some diseases apart from MG/CRD to infectious bronchitis. IB will only make carriers of your flock for almost a year. If most of your chickens are grown, they should not die from the disease, but if you have chicks, they can die from it. I would get a bird tested by my state vet or dept of agriculture.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  3. Bigboyjh

Bigboyjh New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    NC
    The older birds are 2 years, the young ones I have brought in are about 20 weeks.

Symptoms are, all birds are sneezing and snotty nosed.

One of the older birds began Wheezing, nose crusted over, eyes crusted shut, and eventually she died. 2 year old barred rock.

Just last week, one of the 2 year old white leghorns started snotting, sneezing, and making a sound like a harmonica on the intake and out breaths. Very bad congestion. Immediately started her on VetRX and the wheezing has stopped after about 3 days, but still snotting sneezing and coughing.

I am getting 20 chix 1st week of April to restart my flock. Dont want them to get exposed.

Trying to find out how long the virus stays active in the run.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Well, if you are getting new chicks in April, I would have to agree with your decision to cull your sick chickens. You are probably dealing with MG or CRD, or even possibly coryza with all of the symptoms. It is possible to have infectious bronchitis on top of MG/CRD or bronchitis also. To be sure, though you would need testing. But whatever you have will expose the new chicks. Most of these disease only will last 3-4 days once the birds are gone, but I would wait a month at least after cleaning to re-populate. I would recommend that you dispose of carcasses either by burying deeply or by burning. Sorry that you have to do this, but it is very responsible of you.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by