question about injured chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ashepherd, Oct 25, 2013.

1. ashepherd

ashepherd New Egg

Apr 3, 2013
    One of my chickens was injured by a dog. She lost most of her rump feathers and has a bit of bleeding coming from an opening under her ovipositor. Gross question, but how many "openings" do chickens have? I can't tell if its a wound or internal bleeding or what. I live in town and we don't have any vets that treat chickens.
    Thanks!

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I am so sorry!

chickens have one vent that does it all. The ova duct and large intestine meet up at the Cloaca:

[​IMG]

If the wounds are large, you can suture them or super glue them together. Keep her away from the flock in something like a pet carrier. Treat the wounds with vetricyn(pet and feed stores will have this) spray twice a day and keep the wound clean. When she is healed up, spray the wound withe Blu Kote to keep the flock from pecking at the wound.

I hope this helps!

3. ashepherd

ashepherd New Egg

Apr 3, 2013
    Dear Ronott1,

Thank you so much for your advice! I have been keeping her clean, sprayed, and separated from the flock and my chickie, Carmel, seems to be healing up little by little. It really helped to hear from you so quickly and I appreciate it!

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    That is great news!

They are very tough little guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by