Question about insulating coop walls?? Good idea or no?

stitch81

Chirping
8 Years
May 23, 2011
We are in the process of building our coop. We live in Iowa, and winters here can get -20 degrees (that's with wind chill). Do you think it would be a good idea to insulate the walls of the coop? The chickens we are getting are listed as all weather birds, but I just wondered what your thoughts were on insulating the walls. We already have window on the North and East side of the coop, and if needed, I can make a screen door for the inside of the coop and leave the main door on the coop open for added air flow in the summer. It's the winter that is worrying me. Thanks for the input.

I would plan to put up an inner wall on the supports and line the gap with insulation. This will give you a double skinned wall with the cavity filled with the insulation. Should keep them warm. Also, can you pit up a roll down cover to go over the north facing window to stop the chill getting in that way.

Would not hurt to put in insulation, if for no other reason than to cut down on cold wind and drafts. I would put in interior sheathing, then 1" or so of foam insulation, then the exterior sheathing.
Chickens can provide a lot of their own heat, main thing is to keep the cold out. In summer the insulation won't hurt either as long as you have good ventilation.

Wind chill is basically-irrelevant -- what matters inside the coop (where you will not HAVE wind chill) is just plain o' air temperature according to the thermometer.

If the coop is reasonably large and/or dirt or slab floored, or if you have any thought of ever using any kind of heating (electric, solar, whatever), then it is for sure worth insulating, although you don't absolutely NEED to.

See my 'cold coop' page (link in .sig below) for more on the subject, also make sure you have suitable ventilation planned for wintertime (what works best in winter is not the same as what works best in summer, see my ventilation page)

good luck, have fun,

Pat

I agree about the windchill concern being a nonissue. If you stop the wind, your birds will be fine. Just like any animal, they can generate enough bodyheat to be fine if they have shelter. The challenge is to provide wind shelter but still have enough ventilation to clear the huge amount of moisture and ammonia gasses that enclosed chickens generate. I do suggest the birds have a sunporch that has a roof so they have the option of going outside when they wish.
wee.gif
Sunshine is good for them, just like us.

Back
Top Bottom