Question about integrating young chickens with older ones...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by susanah, Aug 2, 2013.

1. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    We have 4 new EE standards that are five weeks old and 2 mature four year old hens. The hens don't seem to be aggressive toward the small ones, but they haven't been locked together in a confined space. Do you think it would be safe to mix them in a few weeks even with a size difference or am I asking for trouble? If they are fine in the yard together during the day do you think they would be ok at night in coop?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

No, too young. They need someplace to be able to get away from the older hens. If they are trapped in the coop that could be bad.

They should be around the same size to be safe. The older hens can kill younger ones without batting an eye.

General best age is 16 weeks. But you might be able to get away with it sooner than that...it is an individualized thing depending on the personalities of the older hens and how many youngsters there are.

The thing that makes the difference is, the older the chick, the more likely she will stand up for herself as the older hen attacks. If she doesn't stand up for herself and the older hen doesn't back off, death is likely.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    x2

4. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by