Question about isolating a chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GardenGal, Dec 14, 2011.

1. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    One of our chickens needs a time out, and I read somewhere that if they can still hear each other the isolation won't be effective. Problem is, our lot is only 100' square. If we have to we can build some kind of temporary housing at my parents' - but I sure hope we don't have to!

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I think you can be assured that the "time-out" will be effective as long as your little culprit can't chase after and peck the others. Most of their communication is done with their beaks anyway. Chickens can feel isolated even when placed inside a crate in the middle of the run surrounded by the rest of the flock. During that time, the pecking order can change.

You won't know it's effective or not until you try it. If there is no apparent result, then you can try the next step of removal out of sight of the flock. If that doesn't get the desired result, then you may have to resort to a different location. But try the simplest first. It may be all that is necessary.

3. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Thank you! Really appreciate your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by