Question about Japanese Bantam chicks legs - Pic Included

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Vegasgalatheart, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Vegasgalatheart

Vegasgalatheart New Egg

Apr 22, 2009
    Hello there everyone. I am a long time lurker, but, I finally had to jump in and ask a question. I just hatched out some eggs, and this morning, my little japanese bantam hatched, yay! Anyway, this little guy seems to be having a leg issue. I dont know if it is splay leg or is it something to do with Japanese bantams? It looks like it has the short legs of the breed, but, he cant get them underneath himself to stand, they are just kind of off to the sides. Is this something that I can fix with the bandaid trick, or, will he need to be culled out? Thank you for any advice.

[​IMG]

This picture is just because [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Wow that is really cute. I have no experience with japanese bantams, but I would try the bandaid thing first and then check back.

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    None of the japanese chicks I got today are spraddled like that.

4. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Can be fixed with the bandaide trick. Just do it quickly or it will be reversable...
    And [​IMG]

5. Vegasgalatheart

Vegasgalatheart New Egg

Apr 22, 2009
    I just wanted to thank everyone for thier suggestions ( and the Welcome [​IMG] ) . I couldnt get the bandaid to work on his little midget legs [​IMG] He is actually a short legged Japanese, anyway, I did fashion a pipe cleaner hobble for him and when I woke up this morning, he is standing on his feet! [​IMG] Anyway, I just wanted to update and again, thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by