Question about Jersey Giants?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SugaryinMD, Aug 24, 2010.

1. SugaryinMD

SugaryinMD Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2009
    I recently ordered a crop of Jersey Giants (Black) or what I thought were giants...maybe i got ripped off. The chickens are now about 4 months old. The wings have white tipped feathers. I had read that all the white would be gone after they lost their baby feathers. Is this normal? Do Jersey Giants generally keep their white tipped wing feathers for a while or does this mean that they are not actually giants?

2. buckeyejerseygiants

buckeyejerseygiants Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Where did you get them from and how much white? It's entirely possible for black Jersey Giants to have white feathers, although it is very undesirable. I raised and showed black and white Jersey Giants in 4-H and this was one of the first things I looked at when selecting and culling birds. The judges called it "smut" and one told me they may or may not molt out of it. Someone else may have something to say of this- I usually just looked at them at 5-6 months old and got rid of those with it as they needed to be ready to show then. He was also referring to one or two white spots on the whole bird, if yours look more like a Black mottled then I would question whether they really are true black.

3. SugaryinMD

Jul 16, 2009
    I believe I got them from Welp. Oh well...live and learn! I always saw the JG at the fairs and wanted some. I was hoping for some show quality ones but I was unsure where to get them from.
    do you have any recommendations?

4. SugaryinMD

Jul 16, 2009
    only the very tips of the wings are white..its like they dipped them in paint.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't have jersey giants yet, but BCM's have the same thing with white wing tips. It molts out, not a biggie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by