question about jumbo cornix X rocks? straight run or roos?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by AHappychick, Jan 13, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    If I buy the cornix x rocks from McMurray from the meat bird section can I breed the pullets with a RIR and get good dual purpose sex links or are the hens breed to get to big and really are ment just for meat? I cant decide to do a straight run or just males.

2. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh also should I have them vaccinated? I have chicks that have been and some that have not been. I feed organic only and try to only use organic natural remedies but am on the fence on vaccinations, especially for birds I will be eating?

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    straight run

Vaccination is the one thing you CAN do under organic production. But, it is pointless to vaccinate broilers. Their life is too short to justify the cost.

The CornishX is a terminal product, meaning you won't have good success rebreeding them (if they even live to reproductive age).

4. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:Oh thank you! thats what I thought which is why I was confused when I read the info on them from McMurray. Is it that the hens taste different? is that why they recommend a sraight run?

5. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    We ordered the Straight runs from McMurray this past year and all did very well. Either way you can't go wrong because both the hens and roos get HUGE!!! The roos ended up looking like turkeys walking around the yard. As greyfields said there is no need to vaccinate a chicken that is only going to be around 6-8 weeks. Good luck ![​IMG]

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The straight run just gives you some variation on size. It's nice to pull out a smaller bird versus a larger depending on how many you are feeding.

Some people will tell you, wrongly, that the males are cheaper to raise because they grow larger than the pullets. It's not the case. Regardless, you can hardly tell pullets from cockrels when they are ready to process.

7. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    ok thanks again, now that i look further I see a BBQ special, maybe I will do that [​IMG] I am going to have to call them tomorrow anyway because I cant seem to select only some birds for vaccination and not the meaties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by