Question about karo syrup & marshmallow creme

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by gritsar, Dec 12, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm gathering up my supplies to make candy for Christmas. I haven't done any candy making since last year at this time.

I have a question about expiration dates.

I can't find an exp. date on the bottle of karo syrup. I bought it last December and only used a tiny amount. Is it still good to use? I think so, but don't want to ruin a batch of candy if I'm wrong.

Also, I have an UNopened jar of marshmallow creme. The expiration date is June, 2009. Is it still good to use?
    TIA [​IMG]

2. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    ACH Food Companies, Inc., the conglomerate that owns and markets Karo syrup, says, "Karo syrup is safe to eat for an indefinite period of time, whether it has been opened or not opened. Light corn syrup may turn slightly yellow with age, but this is normal and not harmful.

Marshmallow creme would be iffy, but honestly I would use it if the color and taste was fine and it was stored in a cool environment.

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Karo syrup goes on forever.

4. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i have had an open bottle of karo get moldy when in the cupboard but if it is in the fridge it should last forever.

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Both of those would be just fine. I used up the last of last years Karo today. I finished my truffles and Peanut butter fudge today. Happy candy making [​IMG]

6. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    I just made pistachio brittle with Karo syrup that was 2 years old! It is delicious!!! I don't know about marshmallow cream though. If it smells good and hasn't separated I would probably use it.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks y'all. Need to save a few pennies wherever we can. [​IMG]

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Both should be just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by