1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Question about kids and chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KristaBeth, May 23, 2010.

1. KristaBeth

KristaBeth In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I have 4 five-week-old chicks that free range during the day for short periods. They are often sharing the backyard with my 3 kids. The baby is not a problem, he just kind of toddles near them. My older two (7 years and 5 years) are always wanting to pick them up, pet them, etc. They end up chasing them around the yard because we all know how easy it is to pick up a chick [​IMG]

My question is: should I let the kids pick them up and handle them a lot or tell them to leave the chicks alone? I have already explained to them that the chicks aren't "pets" like a dog, cat, etc. I also don't want to stress the chicks out by being chased around the yard.

Opinions??

2. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    If I were you, I'd set aside a special chicken play time for your children to pet and hold the chicks with your supervision. Other than that, I'd tell the children that it's the chickens' free time, and to leave them alone. It's very possible that the children might unintentionally love the chicks to death otherwise.

3. nanawendy

nanawendy Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I agree. My grandsons get to hold babies once a day, while their setting on the couch with a towel. No chasing chicks [​IMG]

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I think it's great that your kids are into your new feathered friends! However, it's probably not a good idea for them to chase the chickens. It does stress them out and it makes them more skittish. I would provide your children with plenty of supervised opportunities to hold and handle the birds out of the brooder so that they become familiar with each other in a safe, calm environment. Just be sure they wash their hands well with soap and hot water when they're done.

Just out of curiosity, why did you explain that they're not pets like a dog or a cat? Are they meat birds that won't be sticking around? B/c we think of our chickens as pets. Just wondering. [​IMG]

5. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Songster

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I have a 9,7 and 2 year old that are forever wanting to hold the chicks. Its allowed as long as I get the chick for them and its not something that is allowed all the time. I do let them pet the older hens when they give them treats and they can give our wimpy spare roo treats anytime. If I banned it all together it would be a fight, but by setting certain times when they can they have obeyed the rules really really well.

I told mine only some of these can be considered pets because the roo babies would eventually grow up and become supper. I did set aside a couple safe birds that they can consider pets ( 4 females and a silkie) They do tend to ignore the nonpet chicks now which is fine. It will save tears later.

6. downstownlady

downstownlady Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    GREAT ADVICE!!! THANK YOU!!! I am a newbie...and my Chicks will be here this week...I have kids...and I will lay down the law right off the bat!!! [​IMG]

7. OkieChix

OkieChix In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    broken arrow, oklahoma
    hey nice too meet you and welcome to the chicken world. anywho i have two kids also 3 and 1 1/2 year old. they both love the chicken and got about hafe of the 70 chicks named. lol. they get to hold a couple each day for a short time. i have a little step stool that sits about 5" off the floor. that i sit in the pin and have the boys sit on one at a time s i can watch them beter in case someting happens. I tell them if they get off of the seat they have to get out and look from the outside. snd not to chace the chicks to let them come to you. and then i teach them how to pick them up and sit them on there lap and not to hold them down against the chicks will. and if the chick wants down or has had enough to let it go. so far they have done really good with each other oh and no loud noises. to talk softly with them. both of my boys love it and there are some chicks that even go to them to get picked up now. anywho i hope you have fun with your new addition.

8. KristaBeth

Apr 17, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Quote:I think it's great that your kids are into your new feathered friends! However, it's probably not a good idea for them to chase the chickens. It does stress them out and it makes them more skittish. I would provide your children with plenty of supervised opportunities to hold and handle the birds out of the brooder so that they become familiar with each other in a safe, calm environment. Just be sure they wash their hands well with soap and hot water when they're done.

Just out of curiosity, why did you explain that they're not pets like a dog or a cat? Are they meat birds that won't be sticking around? B/c we think of our chickens as pets. Just wondering. [​IMG]

I just meant that they don't play and cuddle like those kind of pets, and they don't always like to be held! Other than that, they are definitely our pets.

9. KristaBeth

Apr 17, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Thanks for the advice, I will be setting down some new rules today!

10. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Songster

You'll need to tell the kids that those young chickens need time to be chickens, not kittens or puppies.
    "Chickens need to walk around and search for those bugs in the lawn. And if kids are chasing chickens, the chickens won't be doing their job eating those bugs that bite us & make us all itchy."[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: