question about kids today..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by agnes_day, Nov 30, 2008.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    on thanksgiving, i invited my step dad (well, he was when he was with my mom, she died in 96.) and his wife over for dinner. she has a 16 year old son from her previous marriage, and i thought maybe he could hang out with my almost 16 year old and play video games, talk, whatever. well, he walks in dressed like a thug..backwards ballcap, saggy pants, you know the look..well, i ignored it and went on with what im doing. the next thing i know is i hear the "s" word coming from my sons room so i go in and ask who said it and it was this boy! his mother laughed and said she lets him cuss!
    then he goes outside and lights up a cigarette..i about died over that one, and said "hey, your kid is outside smoking!" and she told me that she lets him because all long time smokers start early..she threw out the old "i would rather him do it around me than go behind my back" excuse..i later find out that he was bragging about doing drugs to my other kids. needless to say, they wont be coming back ever. what i am wondering is if it is normal for teen boys today to be allowed to cuss, and basically do whatever they want..my kids have a few friends that are basically left to their own devices and their parents let them cuss. they know not to try it in my house but i am just wondering if i am just weird,old fashioned, or what. we home schooled up until this year, so i am learning all kinds of new things about kids that i didn't know before, that's for sure! my kids are far from innocent, but this whole child acting like an adult thing is just bizarre.
    i just cant see letting kids behave this way!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ok, for one, the cussing thing only got let go when my son was 17, and I had to pick my battles. Smoking an d talking about drugs. OH HELL NO!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You are doing just right.

You don't have to expose your children to that.

I've never touched a cigarette in my life, neither has my wife or any of my kids.
    I've never tasted anything alcoholic, neither has my wife or any of my kids.
    We've never ever tasted tea or coffee and drinks with caffeine are not allowed in our home.
    We don't even have pain meds in the house other than asprin or tylenol.

There is no cussing allowed in our home... and if kids friends use cuss words in our home, they are invited to leave.

Society continues to fall in a downward spiral because too many folks just lower their standards or they don't exist.

When families are strong, America will be strong.

OK, Getting down off of my soapbox.

4. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I'll bet that ruined your Thanksgiving.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] You crack me up.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I saw the whole range of kids at my hs. The good ones who did well and the ones who got kicked out for drugs/theft/violence. Some act like little brats trying to be "cool", some are mommas boys or are just good kids. So you're probably more towards one end of the spectrum, and the other is probably more towards the other end. "Normal" can be what you make it, and removing/avoiding bad influences is probably a good thing if you feel those influences are "bad." My group of friends didn't cuss much, but my brothers group was a little rougher on the edges and a few ended up in juvie for trafficking. He has new friends now which are doing better, and a few of my old ones went down the drugs path and/or are carting around toddlers. I feel bad for the kids who are in the "and" part of the outcomes of my now aquaintences.

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Well, my boys are not teens yet (11, 8, and 7) but I can honestly say that there will be no smoking or certainly drugs if I know of it! As for cussing....well, we openly and honestly discuss the merits of our vocabulary and the fact that no words, in themselves, can be "bad". However, we don't cuss and our children don't. I assume they will when they get older around their friends (I remember those days) but they know we just don't like hearing words that make you sound stupid so I doubt they will try it at home.

Umm.....I guess that was a long way of saying NO, there is nothing wrong with the way you think, you aren't being old fashioned, and it seems to me like her child is on the road to self destruction!!!!

8. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    Quote:oh it did..the best part was when i realized that she had parked herself at the table..and gave my dog most of the white meat off the turkey!!!!

i was so very glad for them to leave, im telling you!

9. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Sounds like this mother isn't helping her child one bit. Love is not permitting a young man to swear, smoke, etc. He would likely do it with his friends but for a MOTHER to allow this is very damaging.

I wonder what her history is.

10. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    [​IMG] No it's not just you....I won't get into it , but it seems as though parents these days don't like to "parent" . They are too busy with their lives to make sure the kids are being responsible and LEARNING about life . I know alot of people seem to think it's from the younger generations of parents...my question is ...who taught the younger generation ? I'm 28..no kids except my step kids , their parents don't parent , and I'm stuck in the middle pulling my hair out screaming "WHY do you parents complain when you are the ones to blame for most of their faults !!! " .

I'm done now...thanks for the vent !

I'm so proud of you for raising your kids to be the type of people we should all strive to be . Making choices , learning right from wrong , respect , hard work , etc. I just wish we had more parents out there take a step back and try to focus on raising the best kid they can , instead of just "dealing with them " .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by