Question about lamps and heat

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dr8goons, Jun 28, 2008.

1. dr8goons

dr8goons Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    VA
    I have a question about lamps. i have babies that are suppose to hatch mon and was wondering do they have to be under a 250 amp bulb? Also at what age can i lower the bulb to a lower watt? I have one of the big metel lamps that have clips at the top of it, can that hold smaller bumlbs? or do i need a diffrant unit each time? the chicks i have under the lamp now seem to want to stay away from the heat end all the time does that meen i need to start angeling it diffrant so not much heat goes into the box?

2. K7 Menagerie

K7 Menagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Bend, OR
    Wattage isn't nearly as important as temperature. If you have a smaller enclosure, you can use a smaller wattage bulb. I have a repurposed rabbit hutch I use with my chicks, and I have a 125 watt bulb in it because it maintains the needed temperature. New chicks need 90 degree temps, then decrease the temperature by 5 degrees per week.

Hope that helps!

3. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    You need a thermometer down in and around where the chicks will be. I tape one on the side of the brooder down next to the chicks. This will save you alot of worry. You asked about the chicks not under the light, this a sign that its too hot.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    You don't need different bulbs, just move the lamp up higher to decrease the heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by