question about laying feed (mash)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stoutsfarm, Jan 23, 2012.

1. stoutsfarm

stoutsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    alamance county n.c.
    i have my own hammermill that i use to grind feed for my cows, have been mixing 50%oats, 50% corn for cow feed. i sent some off and had it protien tested and it came back @ 16.6%, i was just wondering if this is enough protein for layer feed, i know most commercial layer is around 18%. the reason i am wondering is that i have large qtys of both on hand to grind for cow feed and it would cut my feed bill from about 11.85/50 lbs down to around 7.00/50 lbs.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Do you have a feed mixer as well? If so, using the grains as the basis, I'd still mix in a Layer Pak which has essential vitamins and minerals and usually some calcium for shell production as well. Any Hubbard, Kalmbach or other feed mills will sell you the Package. The recipe is usually on their websites as well. By themselves, oats/corn isn't going to provide the full diet for a laying hen. But... along with the Package, you'd be all set and save some money as well, I should think.

http://www.hubbardlife.com/poultry/chick-en-egg.aspx

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Are you sure that it is 16% protein? That sound a bit high for a 50:50 Corn Oats mix. At best I could see 13.5% to maybe 14% protein.

Chris

4. stoutsfarm

stoutsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    alamance county n.c.
    yes, quite sure about the protein content, north carolina state university school of agriculture tested it corn was @7.6% protein, oats were at 9% protein, the blend of the 2 was at 16.6%, oats and corn were tested seperately and then a sample of blended, ground feed was tested also, and i had several other tests done also. answer to the first question, yes i do have a mixer as well, well actually is a grinder/mixer combo, after i finish grinding i cut the grinder portion off and the auger in the hopper continues to run and this is when you add your suppliments after the grinding is completed and let the whole thing mix for about 10-15 mins, thanks for the recommendations on the suppliments also.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If your oats were 9 and your corn was 7, then the two blended should be somewhere between 9 and 7%. I would use the oats and corn, but add some Purina Flockraiser or other 20% protein feed (can you get it from a feed mill?) then your average will be lower than 20% but you can still save some $.

Also add oyster shell in a little bin to the side, as Flockraiser needs calcium supplements on the side for layers.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    That would put your mix at 8.3% protein not 16% protein at a 50:50 mix of corn oats. Your math is wrong,

If your corn was tested at 7.6% CP and you oats tested at 9% CP and your miking it 50:50,

corn 7.6 / 100 = .076 x 50 = 3.8% CP
    oats 9.0 / 100 = .09 x 50 = 4.5% CP
    3.8 + 4.5 = 8.3% CP
    You grain mix is in fact 8.3 percent Crude Protein

CP = Crude Protein

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by