Question about laying habits of silver laced wyandottes

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lwat81, Oct 29, 2013.

1. lwat81

lwat81 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Hi all,
    I'm new to chicken rearing and have a lot to learn, but I have a question for you all. I have three hens, one of which is a silver laced wyandotte. She is about 32 weeks old and has yet to lay an egg. The other two lay consistently. I've read that laying time can differ according to the breed, and I've heard different things regarding SLW's ranging from their early to late breeders. In other words, I've read very inconsistent things. However, 32 weeks . . . what gives?!

Here is a little bit of information about her/them. They free range in my backyard (which is sizeable), and they all seem quite happy. They go in their coop at night, which we've built to be very secure from predators. So, I'm not sure if it's a stress thing . . . that doesn't seem to make sense. I've looked everywhere for hidden eggs, but I can't seem to find anything. She isn't walking like a penguin, so she doesn't look egg bound. And, she's certainly not a rooster. They eat crumbles designed for layers. I do feed them veggie scraps here and there . . . mostly tomatoes from the garden as they seem to like them. Temperatures have not been very extreme here. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

-Laurel

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I don't keep them myself, but Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Glad to have you aboard. [​IMG]

5. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Keep looking for the hidden nest!
    Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve. :frow

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I'm not familiar with their laying habits, but I hope that hens starts paying the rent soon.

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! If they aren't penned up it will be very hard to determine whether she is laying or not....good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by