Question about leashing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rosecreek, Sep 26, 2010.

1. rosecreek

rosecreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    SoKY
    Okay. A little back story... Out of the blue a month or so ago, we had a black silkie chick hatch in the incubator. Nothing was supposed to hatch so I'm assuming the kids put the egg in there. The poor little thing imprinted on me, like most of the chickies do. But, she has been something different. She REFUSES to go with chicks a little older with her, and she REFUSES to go with chicks younger than her. Anytime I try to put her with other chicks, she runs to me and hides. I have NEVER had one do that, in all my 16 years of raising chickens. They have all imprinted on me, but they all know they are chickens, and all stay with their other chick buddies, except "Madea". It probably doesn't help that after the first night of her up screaming all night, I gave her a rubber ducky to sleep with. She's probably got a complex. (She even has a toy that she plays with, and gets fed on a plate. If she's not fed on the plate, she won't eat it!)

Anyway, she won't go outside with the other chicks, and when she does, it's a race to see who's going to get out of the pen faster, me or her. Last night, after much discussion, my usually stern and hard husband made the comment that "she's a silkie so she's going to be pretty docile, and she has a really nice cage in the house (it's a multi-layer ferret cage), and she REALLY likes it inside, and she DOES answer to her name..." yada yada. I'm assuming he means Madea is not to be an outside chicken, and that she will be our first indoor pet chicken.

The problem is, I do a lot of craft shows, and I would LOVE to take her with me. Yeah, I've gotten a little attached to the critter, too! I'm going to build a special cage for her to go with me in, but I would also love to be able to walk her around. What type of leash can I get her, or can I just make her one? What's your thoughts on having a pet chicken that you take to craft shows (that will allow pets, of course)? I think it's a neat idea, if nothing but to promote the silkie breed, and to show that chickens make good pets, and can be good for something other than meat and eggs. But what's your thoughts?

This is Madea, sporting her new mowhawk.

[​IMG][/img]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Put a mirror in her cage so that she becomes more comfortable in the presence of a "chicken."

3. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I have silkies too and can totally understand how they easily become your pets! They are so sweet!! I think it would be great if you could take her with you. My only concern would be if pets are allowed, does that mean there would be dogs there?? I'm such a worrier, that I'd be afraid of her getting hurt somehow....but that is just me. [​IMG]

4. rosecreek

Aug 19, 2009
    SoKY
    That's one reason why I would want her on a leash! My dogs know not to mess with the chickens...although our lab loves barreling through them like a bowling ball. He's a nut. The chickens freaked him out one time. When he came running, the chickens just stayed put. He didn't know what to do! Anyway, completely off subject.

Yeah, I'm not worried about her leaving my side. She won't do that. She even watches Ice Road truckers with me! It's other dogs and things I'm worried about!

5. Lil' Roo

Lil' Roo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    following another BYC'er advice, we got a small harness and leash from the Dollar Tree. For 2 bucks and a few lessons we have a leashed barred rock.

6. rosecreek

Aug 19, 2009
    SoKY
    That is awesome. I'll be going to the Dollar Tree soon to find those. Hubby thinks it's a great idea!

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    What a little beauty! Some chickens were just made to be spoiled and she sounds like one of them. A small kitty harness should fit her. Or maybe a ferret or rabbit harness. Are you going to put a little I.D. tag on it for her? I admit that I would. [​IMG]

8. rosecreek

Aug 19, 2009
    SoKY
    LOL!! I probably will! Like most chickens, she loves anything that sparkles. My eight-year-old daughter says whatever we get her, has to have some "Blingage"! My husband just rolls his eyes![​IMG]

9. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    Adorable silkie, and what a neat idea, taking her to craft shows! She'll attract lots of customers, and probably cause several folks to go looking for a pet chicken or two of their own! Have fun with her! I'd like to have indoor silkies like that too, but one of our dogs, and likely my family, would not go for that.

Kristy

10. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    There is a website called indoorducks.com. It is a buisness run by two people that make "pet supplies for pet poultry." It is mostly for waterfowl, but there are diaper-harnesses, walking-harnesses, shoes, and poultry leashes. The leashes are made of elastic and fabric, so it stretches and gently pulls them back instead of a yank that dog leashes give. And it all benifits their sick duck in the hospital. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by