1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about leaving 6 week old chicks outside *EDIT*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greenguitarchick, Mar 19, 2009.

1. greenguitarchick

greenguitarchick New Egg

Mar 19, 2009
    New Mexico
    I'm debating whether to bring the chicks inside this afternoon. They are just over 6 weeks old and have their feathers in.

They go out during the day most of the time unless the weather is bad. It's been around 65 during the days... tonight it's supposed to be 38-40...

My Brother has invited us to a dinner and I'm curious if i can leave them outside for part of the night. Do you think it would be safe? I don't want to leave them indoors because we have a dog who has munched a baby chicken before. [​IMG]

Any thoughts? I thought about locking the dog out but he's blind and diabetic and needs access to his food and stuff..he's mainly an indoor dog.

EDIT****

They do have a coop with a house that has straw in it. I've had them for 6 weeks, when i got them they had just begun getting their feathers in as well.. I'm not sure on the age of them completely because i don't know how long it takes for them to get their feathers.

I'll bring them in when i get home tonight, probably around 10ish, as well.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

They are too young to be able to keep themselves warm at night. That is very early to be fully feathered.... are you sure? No more tufts of down?

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Will they roost and do they have a place that is draft free to stay in? I think they will be alright if you can provide those things.

4. greenguitarchick

greenguitarchick New Egg

Mar 19, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:They may be a little older than 6 weeks..we've had them for 6 weeks so that's what i go by...they were already getting feathers in when we got them... but yeah no more down or anything..they're fully feathered.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ok they are probably 12 weeks if they were already feathering when you got them, so they are probably ok. Make sure they have a draft free place to sleep with a roost.

6. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    Can you put them in box in the garage or locked bathroom while you are gone. Seems too young to be left outside to me.

7. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:BRING THEM IN... you can never be too safe with your babies.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You said part of the night -- so you plan on at least checking on them when you get home, sounds like. I would. But then I'd probably have them out there 24/7 at this point.

9. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    my peeps go out at exactly 6 weeks, with a heat lamp for the first few days just to help ease them into it, but then that's it.

isn't 6 weeks the magic age at which all the instruction manuals tell you to throw them outside?

10. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Leave them outside in their secure coop?
    Or in the yard? I'm not sure what you're asking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by