1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about leg color

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dandydoodle, Dec 3, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    If neither the mom or the dad have yellow legs wouldn't they both have to have a recessive yellow gene in order to get a baby with yellow legs? Just wondering I got a baby with yellow legs and my Ameraucana is suppose to be a pure bred Ameraucana. There is no possibility of it being a different daddy either.

Thanks,
    Michelle [​IMG]

2. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Does anyone know?

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    What color are the parents legs? If there is a hidden yellow leg gene in the parents blood lines it could show up in the offspring.

4. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    You might find more answers if you post under Breeds, Genetics, & Showing.

5. tabithatoo

tabithatoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    New Roads, LA
    I hatched an egg from a BCM mother and (I thought) father, and it came out yellow, with yellow non-feathered legs. The only other roosters I have are silkies. So...I theorized that the BCM that was allegedly purebred was not. It's so weird. It was a cute chick, though.

6. waw

waw Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    :lol:my biggest rooster legs are always hot pink any advice

7. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:That is just the blood flow you see. If I am correct, I think I have seen one here where people say that is a higher testosterone level or that is just the testosterone in the rooster. Have you ever heard the saying "Real men wear Pink" [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I agree that it's a good idea to post in the genetics section.

Some leg colours mask the underlying yellow leg colour, so 'willow' may be yellow underneath........but I forget the detail.

Genetics buffs will know.

I had yellow, black, grey, and 'white', but one of my mutt chicks now has 'willow' legs.....so I think I have the full spectrum and never am surprised by what I find.

9. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:That is just the blood flow you see. If I am correct, I think I have seen one here where people say that is a higher testosterone level or that is just the testosterone in the rooster. Have you ever heard the saying "Real men wear Pink" [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]:lau:lau [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by