Question about legs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Billyj, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    Someone gave me 3 RIR's. (At least that is what he told me). However, 2 of them have greyish colored legs. Is that possible. In all the pictures I have seen, they have yellow legs. I am trying to get some pictures up, but they are still skiddish and will not slow down when I come around. Has anyone ever had a RIR with greyish legs?

2. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    After posting, I think I have solved the question. I think my girls are Rhode Rocks. I am going to put pictures up tomorrow for validation. I know it's hard to guess without pictures, but those girls just will not stand still.

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    From my experience (no expert...just my understanding [​IMG] ) a pure chicken will have a particular color legs and if it is mixed/crossed the color can differ. Unless it is the exception of bad genetics (mostly from bad breeding or just an oddity). If your breed is genetically supposed to have yellow legs than if it has a totally different color then chances are that it is not pure. Different people have different opinions on what is pure and what is not pure. Go figure. [​IMG] Some breeders will call a chicken pure if it is example: 15/16 RIR and 1/16 some other breed.
    If they are Rhode Rocks wouldn't that be a cross?
    Everyone loves pictures. [​IMG]

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well- rocks are supposed to have yellow legs too (except BBS) Birds that have yellow legs can experience some fading after the girls have been laying for a while. Or maybe you have some Orp or Sussex in their background.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    R.I. Red should have Yellow legs with some reddish color to them.
    Plymouth Rocks should have yellow legs. Blue Plymouth Rocks are alowed to have a dusty yellow color to there legs

With that being said some of the Hatchery Barred Rocks will have a dark to the legs/ shanks so it could be a Barred rock / R.I. Red cross. Depending on the way it was crossed it could be sex-linked)

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by