Question About Letting Broody Raise Chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Reyvaughn, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I have a week to go before I should have chicks running around. Running around is what's worrying me.

I have two Silkies sitting on the eggs and I have all intentions of letting the girls raise them for the immunity and just because I don't want to raise this batch. I want to pack my brooder up after this last Ameraucana can go out with the others. So, here's my worry... My Silkies are low on the totem pole, but not usually bothered by anyone. I am afraid they won't be able to defend the chicks from the rest of the flock. I am talking about 4 large Orp cockerels with may to much testosterone and about 30 other pullets. So, should I go ahead and try letting them mingle with the rest of the flock, or should I build them their own little tractor? I am leaning towards a tractor, but since this is my first year with chickens and my first broody hatch, I am not sure how the flock dynamics work in these instances. I don't want to deal with an extra pen to take care of and I don't want to deal with integrating later - although most of them (all but one) will not be in the hen shed anyways. And, I don't want to lose any just because the tractor inconvenienced me.

I am hoping my broody OEGB who's been sitting for about a week kind of adopts them, too. Three moms are better than one... or two. [​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It is a pain, but seperating the momma and babies will help keep the babies safe, you de-stressed, and biosecurity up. Plus it is easier to feed the chickies the medicated starter if you don't have to keep the adults out of it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  3. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    i would also put them in their own mini coop or tractor. just to make sure they stay safe - dont want to lose any chickies! [​IMG]

4. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I don't mind the Silkies eating the medicated feed. I'm not concerned about the bio-security either... I want them on the ground ASAP so they build a good, natural immunity to my cocci ridden farmyard. But, yes, I am thinking a tractor would be best. I just don't want to build it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by