Question about letting my broody Silkie hatch some fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Siera, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Siera

Siera Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    I have a 7 1/2 month old Silkie that gets very broody. I collect the egg she lays every day. However, I'm considering obtaining some fertile eggs to let her hatch on her own. Is that wise? Will she stop laying her own eggs? If she continues to lay, do I just collect the infertile eggs and leave the fertile ones to hatch? Will she know what to do? I'm new to this, so I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Hens that goo broody stop laying eggs, so you're fine there. Silkies have a reputation for being excellent mothers. Some hens don't do it perfectly, but most of them have all the instincts they need to do the job right. Best you can do is let her try and see how she does!

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    silkies are good moms but not good egg layers anyway. I keep them for their "mommieness" but they can get pushed around by other hens especially if she is in a favorite lay box. but if you move her you might lose the broodiness. What I have don is let her have her fav. box and attach a cubboard door to it. If you have the time let her out once a day 20 min or so to eat and poop- Yes they hold it when sitting on eggs- if you don't shut her away from the other hens give her the eggs you want her to have, all at once, not as laid. and don't let her keep more than that. so many people let their hen sit on too many eggs then they don't hatch because she cannot cover them all. no more than 9 for silky, 7 would be better.If you don't shut her in and she switches nests, just put her back on the one she is supposed to have. It is okay if she leaves the nest sometimes.

4. Siera

Siera Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    Thanks for the advice! She's a bantam, so I'm thinking 7 might be too many eggs for her to cover? Also, she's at the top of the pecking order for my flock, and there are only 3 hens total; the other two think the she is their mother! So, I'm thinking they will be ok with her nesting in the coop. It's still pretty cold at night, but my coop is heated, so that should help. I guess I will let Mother Nature and my mother hen take care of the rest. When she gets broody, she gets very broody! Thank you both!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by