Question about lice and mites

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tamglas, Dec 30, 2012.

1. tamglas

tamglas Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    It looks like our poor cluck of chickens has lice and mites. We have had two dog attacks in the last month so we have two chickens inside with us. This is how I discovered the pests. I was able to use Virgin Coconut oil to kill the bugs on these girls but I don't know if it would be possible to do this with the other non-injured hens.

I'm wondering if Permethrin will kill both lice and mites? I really want to get rid of the pests so I'm hoping this will do the trick, especially because this is all they had at the feed store. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. crazypolishchic

crazypolishchic Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    Florida Panhandle
    Have not had a problem with this because I use Diamotaceous Earth as a dusting in nesting boxes & around coop also providing a dust bath area that includes this wonderful product to prevent future problems after you get your chickens free of pests. Can also sprinkle in directly on them under wings. Get it at Tractor Supply for $12.99/ 20 lbs. Great for keeping flies away, keeping smell down, & drying out poop. Can add some to food for deworming but read up on ratio as can cause dehydration if used too heavily.

3. tamglas

Jul 24, 2011
    We usually do use DE in the chicken area and will definitely add more as we are doing this treatment. We have gotten much more rain than usual this year so the chicken area is really mucky. We had been letting them free range to avoid the mud but then these neighborhood Jack Russel terriers are have been terrorizing the chickens.

We have a few dry days in our future so we really want to tackle this problem.

Thanks for the advice!

4. crazypolishchic

Aug 31, 2012
    Florida Panhandle
    Just lost 4 Black Copper Marans to neighborhood Pitt Bull chewing a hole through their enclosure. Wish folks would be responsible with their dogs!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  5. Doubleyolker

Doubleyolker Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    Sorry about your loss. Do you know who the owners are?

6. tamglas

Jul 24, 2011
    So sorry you lost your birds! I know how hard that is!

I think these terrier owners finally got the message. Animal Control was a huge help and finally the owners are willing to pay for all of the vet and medical bills. Animal control also told them that we were going to shoot their dogs next time they were on our property! We don't even own a gun but whatever works.

7. crazypolishchic

Aug 31, 2012
    Florida Panhandle
    Whatever works is right! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by