Question about lice treatment on 1 year old chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arianna, Oct 24, 2010.

1. arianna

arianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    I bought a 1 year old Cochin mix with yesterday and she has lice. I bought a flea and thick shampoo for dogs and cats (Zodiac brand). I was told at the auction by someone that I can use cat flea and thick shampoo (the chicken is also very dirty and she definitely needs a bath as well as lice treatment). My question is: "can I use this shampoo on her today, dry her out and tomorrow use the sevin dust?" the ingredients on shampoo are: Piperonyl Butoxide Technical...0.50% and Pyrethrins....0.05%
    Another question: "can chicken lice be transmitted to humans?"

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Personally, I wouldn't use Zodiac brand products on ANY animal, ever. Same for hartz, and sergeats. Bathe her with regular dog (or horse) shampoo, and when she is dry (in a day or two) dust her with the sevin dust. In the meantime, dust her bedding material and keep her in a crate, or other small space to herself. No, people can't get chicken lice. I've also found it difficult to transmit between birds, unlike mites. I've had birds all roosted together, and only one of them had lice...go figure.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

4. arianna

arianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    More questions:" how long do I keep her in the powder? (body in and head out of the bag) and how soon after the powder can I give her a bath? or can I give her a bath before the powder and put the powder on if she is not fully dry?"

[​IMG]
    this is my new girl

5. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    She's a very pretty hen. I would use poultry dust in the future, as sevin dust is a little strong. You can get poultry dust at TSC or Rural King or probably at any feed store.

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:"poultry dust" doesn't always work though. Personally, I use both sevin and poultry dust. Also, I cut the sevin with DE, 50/50.

Bathe her first, let her dry for a day or two, and then dust her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by