Question About Life Cycle Of Worms???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoCrows, Nov 17, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    My girls love to eat Alfalfa hay leaves. I opened up a new bale of Alfalfa the other day and I am noticing some of what looks like horse manure laced in this hay. Not tons of it or anything, but it is present. So I am wondering if the entire bale is contaminated. The manure is very very dry and this bale of hay is about 5 months old.

But my question is, if this manure does have worm eggs in it, and this bale being this old, can it still give my chickens worms...how long do worm eggs survive in a dry environment? (Are chickens even effected by other animals worms??) I am thinking about worming my chickens this weekend, but if this hay is going to reinfect them, I am not sure what to do. Don't want to throw the hay out if it is still good, however if it is loaded with worms, I will gladly get rid of it. Thanks so much....Leyla [​IMG]

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    So....being specific to certain animals means that what ever this manure seems to be, as long as it is not chicken poop, than even if it has worms in it, it will not affect my chickens?? Please tell me this is so!! I would love to keep this bale of hay. Other than this occasional crud in it, it looks good, smells good and the chickens love it.

Anyone else on this subject?? [​IMG]

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    It should. I freaked out when my cats had tapeworm (they had been quarantined in my bedroom as kittens and sleeping on my bed) but the vet told me though possible, it is very very unlikely.

Moral of the story: if it's that difficult for a feline parasite to jump to a human host, it should be nearly impossible for a parasite to jump classes (ie, mammal to bird). Weirder things have happened, though.

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    You will not have any issues or I should say I'd not worry over it here with our birds.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by