Question about light for muscovy ducklings

hossfeathers

Songster
10 Years
Oct 24, 2009
I've got six going-on-three-week old Muscovys that I will be putting outside next weekend. (Daytime only for a few weeks.)

I've read that exposing young hens to long daylength makes them mature too fast and lay too early. The days are now about 14 hours long (6 am to nearly 8 pm).

Is the extended light a concern for natural daylength? I'm really not crazy about the idea of keeping these guys in doors for 3 months.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I've never heard/ read that.

What do wild ducks and barnyard ducks do when left to brood their young on their own?They go with whatever daylight is available, that's what.
I'd go with that and not worry about it.

>>>What do wild ducks and barnyard ducks do when left to brood their young on their own?They go with whatever daylight is available, that's what.

True that, BUT. I'm not sure that it's 'natural' for hatching out ducklings this early, you know? Maybe they're supposed to hatch out later in the year, when the light is more stable, or is even declining...

OTOH, these were from hen-brooded extensively run Muscovies, so maybe you're right, and I should not worry.

we only keep ours in about a month, once they start growing in their feathers.
I was wondering where you got your Muscovies?

Back
Top Bottom