1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about lighting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by spock78, May 9, 2007.

1. spock78

spock78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    I have 10 Productions Red Hens between a year & 2 yrs.

People are telling me that I need to have a light on in their coop 24/7.

Is this really true & if so what is the light for?

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not exactly correct - egg production does diminish during the winter when there are fewer daylight hours, so some people put lights in their coops that come on a couple of hours before sunrise to encourage more laying during that time. Production reds are great layers, and you may not see much of a change during the winter. Personally, I prefer to let my girls lay in natural cycles with the seasons.

There are other dicsussions on this topic - you can find them using the "search" feature on this sight.

Hope this helps.

Lori

3. spock78

Apr 21, 2007
    Thanks so much Lori!! That will save on the electric bill..

4. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I think this info is incorrect. Chickens need night too, to sleep, just like other critters (even us). From what I've heard, to keep eggs up in the winter you can give them 14 hours of daylight, with a light coming on a little before sunup and a little before sundown, but not staying on all night.
    Some people don't provide artificial light, and the eggs slow down some, but the chickens are fine.
    [​IMG]

5. spock78

Apr 21, 2007
    Thanks Cookinmom. That was my thinking also. Everything needs to sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by