Question about lighting

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ColbertCoop, Mar 8, 2012.

1. ColbertCoop

ColbertCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    Spokane, Washington
    So I'm SUPER excited as a first timer to be getting my chicks this Tuesday. I have a few questions about the brooder situation that I haven't found anywhere in my searches.
    My brooder will be a 50 gallon rubbermaid tote and I'm getting 9 chicks. How long can I expect to be able to keep them in there before they outgrow the space? Our coop should be built by end of March/early April, but it's still pretty cold at night around here.

Also, the brooder will be in our powder room where there are no windows/shower (no worry about humidity), but should I leave the room light on in addition to the heatlamp? All the time or just during the day? I know it sounds dumb, but I've just never done this before [​IMG]

Starting with paper towels on the bottom, when should I put pine shavings down?

Thanks so much in advance for your suggestions/advice. Have a great evening!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You will probably want to give them more space after a couple to three weeks, from my experience.

I have never used the red lamps so cannot advise you on that question. If it seems dim, you might turn a light on for them during the day. They do need light.

I would put pine shavings down immediately with paper towels on top for the first few days. Throw some food on the towels for them to peck at.

Enjoy your chicks!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by