Question about location of the chicken coop

fisher39

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
I'm choosing an area for my chicken coop, and I have two good options: I can build the chicken coop adjacent to the workshop walls (if it'll be heated in winter, it'll provide some warmth to the chickens, but I heard they're cold tolerant anyway). The downside I'm thinking of is that the workshop could be in use after dark, which would create noise if machinery is used. I don't know if that'll disturb the chickens if they're laying or something.

My second place is a good 30ft from the workshop, but there's currently no electrical and water there.

My question is twofold:

1) Will noise from the workshop after-hours have a negative effect on the chickens? Will the warmth help them?

2) If I choose the other location, can I leave the electrical wiring to the coop temporarily on top of the ground without the chickens pecking at it (and getting shocked), or must it be buried? How about water hoses? Will they peck at those? They'll be free ranged so these are all issues.

Thanks.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from South Carolina.. I can't answer about egg laying age, but our chicks are in my shop where we cut and polish glass, mirrors and whatnot. They perk up when the machines go on, but after about 15 seconds, they don't show it any attention. I can't see chickens pecking hard enough to go threw a hose or wire. I might be wrong.

I'm always using wood working power tools and saws around mine- they don't seem to mind. I think a water hose will be fine with them. I don't know about an electrical cord. I'd probably try it and if they really show it a lot of attention, then just thread it thru pvc pipe or dig it under a couple of inches. I'd pick a location that is closer to where you're at anyway, and closer to electrical for winter (heating water). Make it as easy on you as possible.

So I guess noise isn't a problem--good to know. I thought night-time disturbances are big problems. I have a cockatiel inside our house that goes nuts after 10pm if the lights are on and if there's noise
smile.png

I'll test out the wiring and hosing situation myself, I guess.

Thanks for the help.

ground wire isn't too bad at Lowes. I just bought 250ft of it for $136. I thought that was pretty good. They sell it in 50ft lengths for about $60. I've already wired my coop and have my fuse box set up, and my plumber is coming out on Saturday with his trencher to dig the line. But you can easily dig it yourself if you don't have far to go. It doesn't have to be but 12-18 inches under. Even less than that will be fine so long as you don't accidentally dig it up if you do any planting. And, if you use a 10% off coupon, you'll save you some money. If you don't have a coupon on you, you can go to your post office and ask for a moving packet (just an envelope) and Lowes usually always has their coupon cards in there! I just did that for the wire since I ran out of coupons.
wink.png
But honestly, I run the heavy duty extension cords around my horses and they never mess with it. I just don't think a chicken would either... but I wouldn't want to be called on that!

The best location is the location you're willing to go to rain or shine twice a day. Closer is usually better. Chicken learn to ignore noises that pose no danger.

If you go through the Egg Quality Handbook, especially shell defects, they say loud noises and frightening the birds can cause problems. I'd be tempted to keep it away from the workshop. If you build the coop properly, good ventilation but no breezes on them, they really can handle cold very well. I don't know where you are, but I seriously doubt they need the warmth.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

Until you can bury the electrical, I'd run it through conduit. Not for the chickens' protection, but to help avoid other accidents. I've seen people that were killed by electrical accidents. It's a great tool, but must be used safely.

The water hose should be OK provided it does not freeze.

Back
Top Bottom