Question about lockdown for geese about touching.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by kelseygirl707, May 17, 2010.

1. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Hey guys!

So my first goose eggs are on lockdown and have been rocking the last 2 days. My question is that I know you aren't supposed to move them, but is it ok during cooling and misting time to gently lift the egg straight up to candle as long as I don't turn it? I'm curious to know if they have pipped the air cell, but my bator is kinda small to get my flashlight in at the right angle. [​IMG]

2. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Any goose hatchers out there?

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Pretty sure you know the answer here or you wouldnt be asking it. In general it is best to fool with the eggs as little as possible. If you cant stand the suspense be careful. I am sure goose eggs are no different than any other species, leave them be as much as you can stand it. I have not hatched goose eggs but in what I have read during the hatching stage it is my understanding that misting is suspended and you keep your RH as High as you can. I think with opening of the incubator you are losing RH whether you are misting or not. I could be wrong but I have read to not open during hatch.

4. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Well with goose eggs you are supposed to continue the misting and cooling until the first pip, then close it up. And you can candle during the cooling time, but you aren't supposed to move them because of the way goslings are positioned in the egg. So I was wondering if t was ok to pick them up as long as I don't move the position of the egg or turn it, just lift it straight up. I have hatched many many chicken, duck and quail eggs, and have those rules down, but these are my first goose eggs, and come with their own set of rules [​IMG]

5. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Again seems like you know. I wouldnt move them, but that is just me

6. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    I don't see the harm in it... You have the bator open anyways right... Just be careful because I know you would just die if you accidently lost your grip and droped the egg... Especially when it is real close to hatching... I would only do it once or twice throughout incubation... I think if you put this in the incubation and hatching section you would get more replies.... Good Luck...

7. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Thank Jordan!

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I dont see the harm in it either. I did it with mine and all hatched fine. Good LUck! [​IMG]

9. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Thanks Sundown, I was hoping you would pop in here [​IMG]

10. ChickFila

ChickFila Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    When I hatched my goose eggs, I did lockdown them on day 26, and NEVER opened bator, just like chicken eggs lockdown.
    Through a small hole (vent hole) on top of the bator, I sprayed water and it raised humidity and made eggs wet.
    Maybe I did it wrong (didn't cool down until they had pip), but they were hatched ok.
    I would not touch eggs during lockdown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by