Question about lockdown in an Eco 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CorgiHouse, Feb 15, 2011.

1. CorgiHouse

CorgiHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Boring, OR
    This feels like a 'dumb' question, but I can't find an answer here.........

For you folks that have the brinsea Octagon 20, when you go into lockdown with a full bator, do you just leave the eggs as they are between the rails? Or do you remove the rails and somehow get them all on their sides for hatching?

It just seems so crowded in there with all the eggs neatly lined up in their rows. Wonderful for incubating, but ok for hatching too?

2. startingover

startingover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    I have done it both ways with and without rails. I will always always from now on do without rails. Last year I had a guinea keet that got his leg caught in the rail and it took a couple weeks to get it straightened out. To me it isn't worth it to leave the rails in.

3. CorgiHouse

CorgiHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Boring, OR
    Quote:Something like this accident is hat I was wondering about. Thank you for the info!

So, without the rails, but full of eggs.......do they just kind ofstay in the same position because they are holding each other up? Or do the eggs lay on their sides?

4. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes.. If there is a short-coming with the Octagon is the hatching room. I take my rails out. Here is an example of why

[​IMG]

If I fill that bator, I will more than likely use my LG or 1602n for a hatcher.

The good part about that bator, is that you can quickly remove the lid and replace without much risk of dropping the humidity too quickly. By doing this you can reduce the number of chicks/shells as the hatching process goes on. I never take any chicks out that are still wet, or if there is any zipping going on.

But that's just me... You will find out what works for you.

5. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    SOOO NOT a dumb question!! I was having the SAME issue!! I'm so glad you asked this because I have the same bator and I have pipping going on and I kept thinking to myself- There is just no way those chicks are gonna have enough room to hatch with the rails in, but, what if I'm supposed to leave them in? I took them out this morning, and now I have way less anxiety over my decision.

And, yeah, they do seem pretty cramped in there since I filled it to capacity with eggs (had to remove one non-developer though) but I ended up with a tiny bit of extra room due to that one egg not making it. This is my first hatch in the Eco, and so far, I am VERY pleased with its performance- every egg is ready to hatch!

Thank you for posting that question!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by