1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dandydoodle, Nov 23, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    How long after you see an egg rock before you usually go into lockdown. My broody was sitting on eggs and they went under her on different days in a week span of time. My EE was sneaking her eggs in when she would go to the bathroom. So after the first two babies hatched out my broody decided she was done and the others might not be due to a couple of days later this week. I put them in the incubator today because, she stopped sitting on them. I think I saw one of the eggs rock ( unless my eyes were playing tricks on me ) When would you go into lockdown. How long before lockdown do you usually see an egg rock. Any help would be appreciated, I don't want them to die because, my broody decided she was done.

Thanks in advance,
    Michelle
    [​IMG]

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Candle them and see if they look ready. If the chick is taking up most of the egg inside, I would lock them down.

3. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I don't know how to candle. [​IMG] I have tried before and never managed to see through the egg. I only have a regular flashlight.

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    You need to be in a dark room..

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Well if 2 hatched already out of the bunch, they need a bator with high humidity and about 100 degrees, and no more turning.

6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Can it be done with a regular flash light?

Quote:

7. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    OKay my problem is I put two under her to begin with. Then over the next week my EE was sneaking her eggs under her when she would go to the bathroom. The 3 that haven't hatched are the ones she was sneaking under. So I don't know exactly how many days she has been sitting on these guys. So with this situation what would your suggestion be?

Quote:

8. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Quote:
    Yea, a regular flash light will be ok. You can see through light colored eggs
    pretty well, even with a dull flash-light. You'll need a pretty powerful light for
    dark colored eggs. Just go into a dark room, shine the light under the egg
    and whatever you see, describe it here [​IMG]

Heres some pictures for help

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876

I've been in a situation like this before. What did I do? I locked down when I heard peeping.
    I had a really good hatch rate, to. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  9. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    If they are only about 16 or 17 days do you think I could go ahead and put them in lock down? I will try and candle.

10. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Would it hurt if I quit turning them at this point? Will it cause them to stick? If it won't I will just quit turning them and keep it closed and raise the humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by