1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about lowering temperature of brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by username taken, Apr 27, 2009.

1. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    So I have four chicks in a brooder currently, my first attempt at chick rearing. I dont have a thermometer in there, but I've been watching their behaviour to make sure its not too hot or cold.

I've read that I am supposed to lower the temperature gradually until they are fully feathered out, at which stage they can graduate to a coop.

But here's the thing - we are going into winter here and its starting to get really bleeping cold, to put it mildly. So my concerns are:

a) that the weather is getting colder gradually as I am supposed to be reducing the temp of the brooder gradually - will they cope?

b) that its going to be winter when they are feather out and ready to go outside - although we dont get snow we do get frost a bit. Is it normal to raise chicks in winter?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. RainbowFlower

RainbowFlower Out Of The Brooder

Whereabouts are you? I am in Australia, and facing the same situation. I have 6 chicks that are 3 weeks old tomorrow. They are starting to feather up, but still have fluff patches.

I was thinking that over the next few weeks I would put them outside for a few hours during the day to start getting used to it. I would bring them inside at night. Then I would increase the time. By the time they are as big as the 4 outside they should be about ready to live in the chook house with them.

Hoping someone else comes up with some thoughts on this, as I will follow it with interest.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Starting at 35C you need to lower the temperature by 3 degree each week until the a fully feathered. Once they are fully feathered they will be able to handle your tempertures quite well.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  4. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Rainbow, I'm near Wagga.

We have had an unseasonable cold snap for the last three or four days - winter has arrived and its only autumn!

We are freezing our butts off.

Compounding the problem is that of course we are starting to heat the house now, thats gotta have some sort of effect.

Opa, I understand the theory behind it, but I am wondering how that applies to this particular situation.

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I wouldn't take them outside at all until they are fully feathered. Once they are you can keep them at ambient temperatures. From sad experience I have found it's never a good idea to place disproportionately sized birds in the same enclosure. Hopefully this explains it a little better if not feel free to PM me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by