question about making pickles . . .

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Sep 2, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I've never made them . . . I was just gifted several boxes of LARGE cucumbers . . . I don't like cucumbers so thought I would try my hand at pickle making. I see that most recipes call for small cucumbers and can understand why, but was wondering if anyone had a good one that used the large cucumbers. Thanks in advance!

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    You can make bread and butter pickles!

I think I posted a recipe in here somewhere. I will see if I can scare it up.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
  4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    SIL brought me a bunch of large cucumbers with the request for garlic pickles. I just sliced them into spears and used them. They were as crunchy but the taste was great. He was very happy with them.

5. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    As I sit here munching on homemade kosher dill pickles...

Yes I use all sizes of cucumbers and it really depends on what you want. But I used very large ones and made spears and they are just fine. Just be sure to soak in ICE water for a minimum of 2-4 hrs before pickling it helps them stay crispy.
    "crunch" as I take another bite of my huge speared pickle" LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:thanks! do I soak them in ice water before cutting into spears or after? would you share your recipe? please:D

7. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:Garlic pickles sound awesome, care to share your recipe and instructions? thanks!

8. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:thank you ! I'm going to try these . . . how does a bread and butter pickle differ in taste from a dill? are they "sweet" pickles?

9. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    I had a bunch of nearly 10" cukes ... cut them in half, then into spears. They made great refrigerator pickles.

We'll make more this weekend.

We didn't plant a lot of cukes this year, so no actual canning this time around, but refrigerator pickles are fun, easy, and I can make a few jars with one recipe, then a few more with another ...

The ones a made a few weeks ago turned out so well that I'm definately planting a load of pickling sized cukes next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by